Connecting Talent to Opportunity



Deciding to temp can be beneficial for a number of reasons. It is a fantastic means of gaining experience, or supporting yourself between permanent roles or during education, and will also give you the opportunity to familiarise yourself with a diverse range of sectors. The flexibility temping offers, with assignments ranging from a day to several months, means that you can tailor your work to fit in with your lifestyle.


The Temps Division at May & Stephens work alongside a wide variety of clients based throughout London. 
We support clients in the Retail, Secretarial & Admin, Digital Media, Technology & IT, PR MarComms, Financial Markets, Sales & Business Development, Accountancy & Finance and Careers Consultancy.

As a temporary worker, you will be assigned a dedicated consultant who will be in regular contact with you. Whether it is a weekly call to update your availability for work, talking to you during your assignment to ensure that you are happy at the company, or providing you with feedback once the booking is over, they will do everything possible to ensure you receive a high calibre service.

To register for temporary work send us your CV.

To download a timesheet, please click here


As a temporary worker, it is important to make the best impression possible on clients, as you are more likely to be requested for future bookings or informed of permanent opportunities. Important points to remember are:

  • Good timekeeping is essential. If you are delayed in getting to work, please inform your Consultant prior to your usual start time so that they can keep the client informed. Our offices are open from 8am every morning, and there is an answering service on at all times.
  • If you are unable to make it into work, due to illness or for any other reason, please make sure you have notified us, as above.
  • Make sure that you abide by the company dress code. We will advise you of this prior to the start of your assignment.
  • Please do not use client telephone, Internet or email facilities for personal use unless prior permission has been given.
  • Any overtime worked must be cleared with a line manager.
  • Please ensure that any personal appointments or interviews are arranged outside of working hours as far as possible.


When you work for May & Stephens, you will be paid a week in arrears, i.e. on the Friday following the week you have worked. You will receive this by electronic transfer directly into your bank account. In order to ensure you are paid on time, timesheets must be filled out fully and correctly and signed by our Client. You must ensure that your timesheet reaches our offices at the very latest by 12pm on the Monday following the week you have worked.


As a temporary worker, you are entitled to 5.6 weeks (28 days) paid leave per year. There is no additional right to paid leave on bank holidays, this must count towards your annual entitlement. Our holiday calendar year runs from April to March. Holiday pay is capped at 35 hours a week, as opposed to your salary which is paid as per the hours you work. For example, if you request a week’s holiday pay this will account for a 35 hour week, even if you usually work a 40 hour week. Your holiday pay is kept back in a fund until you request it. The payslip you receive each week will inform you of how many days holiday you have accrued at any given point in time. To give you a guide, two full weeks of 35 hours will entitle you to one day’s holiday. In order to claim your holiday pay, you will need to complete a holiday pay request form, which you will need to submit to us in the same manner as your timesheet.

To download a holiday pay request form, please click here.


We are also keen to hear from any overseas candidates who are looking to work in the UK.

At May & Stephens, we have a long history of success in finding employment for overseas workers, both through direct application and schemes such as BUNAC. This section of the website is designed to make your stay in the United Kingdom as enjoyable and trouble free as possible.


Obtaining a Visa:

Prior to your visit, you will need to organise a visa which will entitle you to work in the UK. The type of visa you can obtain will depend on your personal circumstances. For more information please see

If you possess a UK/EU passport, or are of dual citizenship, you are eligible to work without restriction. For EU Member States, please see

Setting up a Bank Account:

It is advisable to set up a bank account before you start work in the UK. There are a number of documents that a bank will require from you before it can set up an account:

  • Proof of identification e.g. a passport or driving license
  • An original bank statement from your bank in your home country
  • Proof of your address in the UK e.g. a utility bill or your tenancy agreement

It may be possible to organise an account prior to your arrival, as some major banks may have affiliations with those based in the UK. Please ask your bank for further information.

Obtaining a National Insurance (N.I.) Number:

Your N.I. number registers your eligibility for free hospital and GP services during your stay in the UK. It is not possible to obtain an N.I. number until you have commenced employment. Once you have done so, you will need to contact the Department for Work & Pensions to apply for your number. Until you receive this, it will be sufficient to supply your date of birth when asked. For more information on the National Insurance scheme and how to obtain your number, please see

Information About Tax Documents:

P46: If you are working in the UK for the first time, you will need to complete this form. This must be signed before you undertake any temporary bookings.

P45: If you have worked in the UK before, please ensure that you either bring this with you on registration, or enclose it with your first timesheet.

P60: This is sent to you at the end of each tax year, provided you are in an assignment at that time, showing you how much you have earned, and how much tax and N.I. you have paid. For general tax inquiries, please refer to


What you need to know as an agency worker  To download please click here


Registering with a GP:

The National Health Service (NHS) provides free or subsidised medical treatment to all UK nationals, and any overseas nationals who have resided in the United Kingdom for more than 6 months. If you are intending to reside here for more than 6 months, you must register with a GP. For more information, please see

Registering with a Dentist:

Unlike registering with a GP, you will need to pay for any dental treatment you receive, whether you are registered with an NHS or private dentist. The British Dental Association can provide a list of local dentists:


The London transport network operates on a zone system. The centre of London is Zone 1, then Zone 2, and so on. Ticket pricing is based on how many Zones you will need to travel across. During your stay, it is worth using the Oyster Card system, which is the easiest and cheapest way to travel on the public transport system. For more information on travel in London, please see

Group Job Search

Latest Group Jobs